dimanche 3 février 2008

Open-source software...

What I think about open-source software.

My reaction to the text “Software Industry vs. Software Society: Who Wins in 2020? ” by Michael Tiemann.

It is clear that nowadays information has no frontiers, but internet is more than an incredible mean of communication and information. It now allows people from all around the world to build incredible common projects that contribute more and more to the advancement of technology.

According to me, open-source software is not only fantastic because of its contribution to technology, but because it goes in the opposite way than the actual stream of “if I make efforts, I want to be paid.” It is incredible that people spend numbers of hours for the benefit of the whole, shifting their mentality from individualistic to communal. For once, it is not money that governs everything! I think that more of this stream of thoughts would permit us to archive more and to solve important problems on earth.

I use myself open-source tools such as Mozilla and OpenOffice. I am completely satisfied with them, because they fulfil entirely my needs (which are not so complicated), and because they are free. I started to use them because some of my friends recommended it to me. Otherwise, I would probably still be using conventional tools.

My insights about open-source software are mostly ideological, because for some reason, this is the only way it is revelant to me.

Aucun commentaire: